Tuesday, January 10

Set Apart: a left handed tale

So today is our second day of actual "school."  Yeah.  It's tough. I am sure that anyone who home-schools and reads this is going to laugh their tail off, but this is going to be a bumpy road.  I love it, don't get me wrong...but there is one obstacle I have already come up against that I am not sure I can overcome... Handwriting.  Oh yes, you read that right.  Handwriting.  I had no idea such an underrated, under-appreciated medium could be so complex and so difficult.  I should throw in here that the darling, precious, loving, somewhat stubborn little boy I am teaching Handwriting to is actually left handed.  Who knew that  left-hand people were so different! He holds the pencil differently, places his arm on the table differently....he even sees the letters in his head differently! So many times over the past few lessons I have wanted to throw in the towel...I can't teach you, I think in my mind, I am right handed! But my darling, 4 year old son plugs away...doing his best to write the letters as he sees them, oblivious to his mother's crazy, self-depreciating internal dialogue.  He likes being left-handed.  It is something he is proud of.  He is one of only two in our entire family, and it doesn't bother him one bit.  He is set apart, distinguished from all the right handed people of the family.  Although it might cause him some challenges in life and he might have to do certain things differently, he is special, and unique to God and to his momma:)

Handwriting courtesy of tracing mom's
As I was doing my quiet time last night, I was looking for a verse to inspire me, as I always do. I came across Romans 12:2, which is now on a post-it on my bathroom mirror.  "Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God- what is good and well-pleasing and perfect."  Christ wants us to be different from the world, not conformed to it.  In His view, and example, different is good.  He wants us to be set apart, and even prayed to God for it.  "I am praying on behalf of them.  I am not praying on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those you have given me, because they belong to you....Set them apart in the truth; your word is truth.  Just as you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.  And I set myself apart on their behalf, so they too may be truly set apart."  John 17:9, 17-19  In order to be like Christ, we must be set apart, distinguishable from those in the world who are non-believers.  Although, like my sweet son, being different will not be easy, and we will most certainly have to do things differently.  Jesus prayed to His Heavenly Father on our behalf before He walked to the cross to suffer and die on our behalf.  I long for non-conformity in my thoughts and actions, that my mind would be renewed daily as I remember the sacrifice He made for me, after all, I too am special and unique to God.

No comments: